Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Inner Space Atomobile Sticker

I can't remember where this came from, but I'm sure of one thing...I didn't steal it from the attraction itself. First of all, when the ride closed, I was too young and naive to even consider vandalizing my favorite attraction.

However, as I became older, stealing Matterhorn stickers from the front of the ride vehicles was a part-time hobby in which I was mentored by a Disneyland-collecting pioneer (you know who you are...if you actually read this thing). It was tough to get them off complete, but as long as you started picking at the sticker from the top right corner and peeled slowly downward, you were in like Flynn. Back in those days, there were no cameras on the lift-hill, so you had to peel it, fold it in half and stuff it down your shirt before emerging into the sunlight. These days, I wouldn't try it. Damn you, infra-red!

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I used to see these on ebay years ago, but it's been a while...I definitely would love to have a piece of ATIS, one of my all time favorite attractions!

I do have a three Matterhorn decals though, including one that was apparently peeled off of a bobsled. Maybe you peeled it! All three decals are slightly different in design, which is interesting...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Neat sticker, I like the three people in the little atom-mobile.

As with Major, this was one of my favorite attractions of all time. I remember the summer 1976, my best friend and me were dropped of at DL by his parents and they give us 6 full ticket books, for just the two us! We Rode ATIS about 10 times, in a row! We bragged about that at for weeks!

There are infrared cameras on the Matterhorn lift hill? That’s good to know!