Sunday, March 23, 2008

How Do I Get Out of Here?????

Too exhausted and dizzy with excitement to find your way home in the dark? First time in sunny Anaheim? Then please use and enjoy this handy map back to your house/hotel/put-upon relative who's hosting you from out-of-town.

Printed in 1958, this map was, I suppose, handed out to confused motorists as they exited the parking lot (ahhh....the parking lot) on their way back to wherever. I wonder how long it took to get from LA to Disneyland back in those days?

And, no...it's not ripped in half, silly. My scanner is just too darn small.


5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I often thought that the drive from Burbank to Anaheim must have been some fun back in the early days, when Walt and his staff had to commute back and forth all the time!

Jason Schultz said...

Major, I think it was NO fun and that's why Walt would sometimes use the helicopter! There were no viable alternatives to using the still-under-construction Santa Ana Freeway...

Does that say "Rodondo Beach"?

Anonymous said...

We lived in Shadow Hills in the early days and my Dad worked for Disney, both at the studios and at the park when it opened. It used to take us about an hour to get to Disneyland, driving through the fantastic smell of orange blossoms from the orange tree orchards in Orange County..............mmmmmmmmm, I can still smell them in my mind...and I don't suppose they bloomed all year, but I remember when they did.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey, there is one of these on ebay right now! (Item number: 280210699934) tempting.... Isn't the Santa Ana Freeway ALWAYS under construction, seems like they never finish!

Anonymous said...

I can tell you exactly how long it took to go from L.A. to Disneyland when I was a kid – too long.

I don’t know how long it took going home. I was asleep in the back of the station wagon