Saturday, January 26, 2008

Mickey Mouse Club Circus in 3D!!!

Whether you simply remember Viewmasters fondly or collect Viewmasters obsessively, it's hard to find someone who doesn't at least have good feelings about them.

I have only two complete sets in my collection. The first is the more common 1956 set that was sold at stores outside the park; the second is more rare 1956 set and was sold exclusively inside the park. Each set has unique covers and different images, although some of the alternate images are just similar photos shot from slightly different angles.

This pack is one of the rarest of all the Disneyland Viewmasters. This is the MMC Circus pack that was sold inside the park. The version that was sold outside the park has a yellow cover and features a photo of a little girl on top of an elephant. This one is....different. I wonder if it first went on sale once the MMC Circus had already closed? No wonder this set is so rare; by 1956, visitors to the park probably had no idea what the hell the MMC Circus was.

It's almost impossible to get a complete set of Disneyland Viewmasters what with all of the test packets and foreign versions floating around. And that's not even counting the Tru-Vue slides. To those to you who have managed it, you get a Vintage Disneyland Goodies gold star.

7 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

I know I definitely don't go to Disneyland to see what's on the cover of that Viewmaster envelope!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Neat Stuff! I had that "other" set you are talking about. I donated it to Daveland and he scanned and posted a bunch of them. I tried collecting all the DL Viewmasters, but I gave up.

MMC Circus at Disneyland was wrong on so many levels, I wonder if Walt got talked into it by someone?

Major Pepperidge said...

I had a chance to buy one of these from a guy, and told him I was interested. The next time I talked to him he said he sold it to somebody else. I was so disappointed! It's the only one I've ever seen for sale.

So, it is still among the few Viewmaster rarities that I am hoping to get someday...

jedblau said...

Hope I wasn't the one who got it out from under you! But, I think it was Ebay about 4 years back.

Disneyana World said...

I found some Disneyland view masters at a local antique store. If they are still there when I go, I will take pictures and send them to you.

My dear WDW had a circus at one time. The Daredevil Circus at EPCOT Center.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I have the reels, but have not found the packet.

walterworld said...

I always loved my Viewmaster back when I was a kid. I had each of the lands in DL at one time or another, plus many other assorted wonders.

When I first discovered eBay a few years back one of the first things I collected again were my long-lost Viewmaster sets...

Thanks for the memories---