Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Guest Contibutor: Stuff from the Park!!!


Thanks to the extremely generous Matterhorn1959 from the Stuff from the Park blog, I bring you this...the Opening Today flyer that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. It's the flyer that was handed out on June 12, 1960, the day that Nature's Wonderland opened to the world. How many of these flyers could possibly have survived? I'd say....one. This one. And thank goodness it fell into the hands of PJ or no one would even know it existed. Pretty cool. And thanks again to the SFTP blog for allowing me to post it.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh, I had lots of these, but I threw them away. Who knew that somebody would want them? I feel kind of silly now! ;-)

Jason Schultz said...

Just found this nugget from a 1960 LA Times columnist who was at the press opening:

"Occasion was the opening of the new Nature's Wonderland along with an old-fashioned picnic. We walked in the parade back of the band...ate our picnic from colorful picnic baskets we could take home as souvenirs (how did you know my favorite color was green, Walt?)"

Major, did you throw away all of the green picnic baskets, too?

jedblau said...

Great info!