Saturday, February 2, 2008

Skyway Round-Trip Card

This is a weird one, but I think it's cool...

This is from the early years of the park, but I'm not sure how early. If you were riding the Skyway and purchased a round-trip ride rather than one-way, you would carry this sign with you on the journey, hand it to the operator on the other end, and s/he would leave you in the vehicle for your ride back to the Fantasyland chalet or Tomorrowland station.

I am not fluent as others in the way of tickets. Were the ticket book tickets and ticket machine tickets for one-way or round-trips? Did it take two one-way tickets to equal a round-trip? Definitely leave a comment if you can clarify.

****To clarify a question on the comment board, this piece isn't techinically a ticket. It's a hard-card mini-sign (about 6 inches by 4 inches). Thanks for VDT for clarifying the Skyway ticket situation. I guess this sign was a special way to identify people who bought a round-trip ticket, since one-way was more customary.

5 comments:

outsidetheberm said...

WOW! Have never seen such a thing. Just when you think you've seen it all - it's nice to find new surprises.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey, fantastic post today!

Having only rode the Skyway twice, I am not an expert, but here is what I know.

The lettered tickets in the Booklets were always one-way, they would just say “Skyway to Tomorrowland” or “Skyway to Fantasyland” sometime in the early 70’s they added the wording “(One Way)” I guess to make it clear.

The little stub tickets sold at the ticket booths are another story. There are two types of those, “One Way” and ones that say “Good for One Round Trip”. I have one of the “One Way” kind posted on my blog, and I have scans of the “Round trip” kind, let me know if you want a copy.

Your ticket it SUPER rare, since why would you buy the round trip then not use it? I’ve never even seen one! WOW!!! What size is it and is it on Globe paper???

THANKS!

jedblau said...

Just added to the post as clarification. Thanks, VDT!

Major Pepperidge said...

This is fascinating!

Anonymous said...

Wow, round trip! I bet they stopped doing this because it was sort of a hassle if someone wanted to stay on? You know, they open the door and then “hey we get to go back”. And the people waiting in line get a little miffed? It would have been fun though. I seem to remember the buckets sort of swinging around the loading area.