Friday, February 29, 2008

Opening Day Train Ticket

To be honest, I'm not even sure where this came from. Ebay? A private seller who was there on 7/17/55? No idea.

This is a letter sent to a VIP instructing him/her where and when to report in order to ride the train that Walt Disney drove into Main Street Station to open the broadcast on Opening Day. As you can see, it gives the car number as 102 and leaves space for a ticket.

Well....here is the ticket with 102 written on the reverse. When I got this, the conductor's check was already separated, and the "keeper" part of the ticket (the piece one would keep as a souvenir once all the stubs were removed) was missing. However, it is stamped "Jul 17, 1955" on the back of the ticket, and the conductor's check is punched with the same star punch that my opening day Mark Twain ticket has. Also, the serial number of the ticket is really low.

Weird item, but I'm thrilled to have it as part of my Opening Day collection.



4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I wish I had an "opening day" collection!! Does two items count as a collection?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I got goose bumps reading that sheet! How dam cool would that have been to be on Walt's Train on opening day. I love low serial number and the "star" punch out! Thanks for posting this treasure!

The Viewliner Limited said...

An absolutely fantastic and rare post. Love these tickets. Thank you.

Disneyana World said...

Lovely.