Saturday, June 7, 2008

POP Ticket Booth Sign

More stuff from the walls of my home...

This is a ticket booth sign from the early days of POP. When the park was auctioned off, lots of the smaller POP design elements and signs made their way into various bars, restaurants and homes. Then, when the place was finally abandoned and left to rot, lots of left-behind bits and miscellany were looted from the park and also found new homes.

I bought this and another POP sign right off the wall of a bar on Melrose about 10 years ago. I know of others who have found POP remnants at swap meets where the dealer had no idea of the treasure they possessed. Still, pieces of POP are unreasonably rare.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

This is a case where the weathering and wear actually make the thing that much cooler!!

If only I could have experienced POP at it's peak...

jedblau said...

I sometimes...seriously...dream of visiting POP. My dad went in 1958, which was the place's sweet spot.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Man do I remember this! What an awesome sign. POP is one of my favorites.